News /

CFCL Sustainable Management Development Report (VOL.2) ①

CFCL サステナビリティレポート(VOL.2)①

While considering the global environmental impact in apparel production, CFCL pursues industrial cooperation with local regions and selects the best domestic materials and transparency in the supply chain. That’s because we think this is as important as improving the functionality of the garment itself. The newsletter will cover three sustainability-related actions taken in the VOL.2 collection.

Continuing from the previous season, CFCL conducts Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and calculates the usage rate of materials that have been certified as responsible for the global environment and fundamental human rights. As a new initiative this fiscal year, we conducted a questionnaire on the SDGs performance guidelines to each supplier.

<Usage rate of materials certified to be responsible for the global environment and fundamental human rights>

CFCL calculates (*) how many materials that comply with international standards, such as the Global Recycling Standard (GRS), are used in the mass production of all products (including customized products). The usage is 58.12% in VOL.1, but 58.84% in VOL.2. Although it is a small percentage, it is showing a rising sign.

However, there are still many challenges. What VOL.1 has in common is polyester fiber, a petroleum-derived fiber, not a certified recycled material, accounting for approximately 12% to 14% of the total. In VOL.2, uncertified wool accounts for about 26% of the total.

Although recycled polyester and recycled wool already exist in the domestic and foreign markets, there are still few options. And we have not yet compromised using them because we think it is not suitable for “Sophistication”, one of the three major elements of CFCL. Therefore, we are still committed to developing and commercializing materials in consultation with Japanese textile manufacturers. We will continue to publish usage rate data and encourage cooperation with companies and suppliers in the future. The goal is to produce clothes made of 100% recycled fibers by 2030.

*This calculates does not include buttons, zippers, strings, elastic bands and other accessories.